Kenya’s national carrier becomes the first and only airline to link Vietnam directly to Africa
The route will be served by KQ’s flagship Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and will provide strong connections to the key markets in Africa and Asia.
Hanoi is home to more than 7 million people and is a rapidly growing municipality. In 2013 PricewaterhouseCoopers estimated that the city would be the fastest-growing in the world in terms of GDP growth from 2008 to 2025.
To support and enhance this operation, Kenya Airways will work closely with its SkyTeam partner Vietnam Airlines, whose hub is Hanoi. The Vietnamese carrier will provide onward connections to Japan, Malaysia, Korea and China.
Kenya Airways’ Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Mbuvi Ngunze noted that the potential of Vietnam as a country with strong economic growth and a growing middle class is significant.
“Vietnam has shown a consid-erable and stable economic growth over recent years, including an increase in trade with Africa,” he said. “As the first airline to connect Vietnam directly to Africa, we are sure to leverage on this growth. Together with our SkyTeam partner Vietnam Airlines we are very confident the addition of Hanoi to our network will be a success.”
With the addition of the B787 Dreamliner to the KQ fleet, new routes and cities are now economically accessible from Nairobi, which has helped pave the way for Hanoi to become the airline’s latest destination.
In the last year Kenya Airways has deployed its fleet of six B787 Dreamliner aircraft for commercial service mostly on routes to Asia and Europe. More recently, the Dreamliner took its inaugural flight to London, one of KQ’s most prominent routes. Three more Dreamliners are scheduled to arrive in 2015.
• Hanoi is Vietnam’s capital and second-largest city.
• The city lies in the northern region of Vietnam, on the right bank of the Red River, around 1140km north of Ho Chi Minh City.
• Hanoi is served by Noi Bai International Airport, which is 40km north of the city.
• Vietnam’s currency is the Dong (US$1 = VND21,230), although the US dollar is widely accepted.
• Weather-wise, September to November are the best months to visit, with an average temperature of 25°C.